Counters and Reception Areas
Counters and reception areas shall provide:
1. Seating places and clear spaces to accommodate wheelchairs, scooters or strollers.
2. In reception areas enough seats for the foreseen waiting people shall be provided.
3. When providing sofas and additional regular chairs with a seat height of 430 mm with +/- 30 mm tolerance and armrests shall be provided.
4. Front desks shall provide a low counter between 750 mm and 790 mm and a high
counter between 950 mm and 1250 mm.
5. Under the desk board a space 680 mm height and 480 mm deep shall be provided. These 480 mm can be included in the frontal interaction space of 1420 mm x 865
mm that shall be provided.
Reception areas with seating places and interaction spaces
Front desks with accessible interaction space
Under the desk a space of 680mm height and 480mm deep
Low counter height between 750-790mm & high counter height between 950-1250mm
When required, hearing enhancement systems using induction loop, infrared and radio frequency are provided
With international symbol if access for hearing loss
Glossary of Terms
A desk at which a receptionist works, as in an office. a counter, as at a hotel, at which guests are registered.
A lobby is a large waiting room or reception area into which the main entrance door opens in a hotel or other large building
A hearing loop (sometimes called an audio induction loop) is a special type of sound system for use by people with hearing aids. The hearing loop provides a magnetic, wireless signal that is picked up by the hearing aid when it is set to ‘T’ (Telecoil) setting.
An interaction space is a clear area of at least size of 1200mm x 1200mm to the side of seating areas that allow wheelchair users to sit beside their companion