Building Entrance Ramps
- The running slope should be between 1:16-1:25 (6.25% – 4%)
- In exceptional circumstances, a slope of 1:12 (8.3%) is allowed if can prove there is no other option
- Cross slope should be avoided or minimized as much as possible.
- A maximum slope of 1:50 or 2% is permissible if no other option available.
Horizontal Length of Ramp
- The maximum horizontal length of a ramp, measured between ramp landings, should not exceed 9 meters.
Width of ramp (within handrails):
- 1200mm minimum (ideal 1500mm)
Handrails height (from floor)
- top handrail 875-925mm
- bottom handrail 600-750mm
Forward entrance ramp
- Landing areas and ramp surfaces should be firm, stable and slip resistant.
- Polished or unnecessarily shiney materials such as polished marble is not permitted for ramps
- A kerb at minimum of 75 mm above the ramp surface on any side of the ramp where no solid enclosure or guard is provided